Saturday Night Fun: Wordle Surnames

Since it is Saturday, you know what that means! Yes, it is another edition of Saturday Night fun courtesy of Randy over at Genea-Musings. I think the Saturday Night Fun prompts (along with not having to wake up to an alarm clock) are one of the best things about Saturdays, they're something I look forward to doing every week at least. I have heard of Wordle and played around with it once, but never really thought to revisit it. I really like the idea of creating a "surname cloud" though and I look forward to posting this on the side bar of my blog:

For some reason when I put in the surname "Allen" it wouldn't recognize it so I had to improvise and put it in as "AllenShinn." Also, I didn't make this Wordle cloud but I saw it and it made me chuckle, especially since my name is so uncommon.

I also thought it would be fun to do a geography wordle, a cloud showing where my family put down roots (originated, lived for a least a generation or where a major life event occurred like birth, marriage or death). For simplicity's sake I just did countries, states and counties (or the equivalent) I did one for my paternal branch:



And one for my maternal branch:



Since I have some ancestors who came to America during the colonial era, I included the names of those colonies in honor of that part of my family tree, New Netherland, Lange Eylant and Plymouth Colony are examples. Just an FYI for anyone interested: the trick I used to keep place names together was to eliminate the space, i.e. San Joaquin is typed as SanJoaquin.

Comments

  1. I love how these turned out! I finally joined the fun today and put my wordle in my sidebar. I think it's a great way to let people know what lines we are researching! I also like your idea of doing the places.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Popular Posts