SNGF- Ahnentafel Roulette!

This week's SNGF certainly is timely considering my father will be turning 60 on Thursday. The rules are:

"1) How old is your father now, or how old would he be if he had lived? Divide this number by 4 and round the number off to a whole number. This is your "roulette number."
2) Use your pedigree charts or your family tree genealogy software program to find the person with that number in your ahnentafel. Who is that person?
3) Tell us three facts about that person with the "roulette number."
4) Write about it in a blog post on your own blog, in a Facebook note or comment, or as a comment on this blog post.
5) If you do not have a person's name for your "roulette number" then spin the wheel again - pick your mother, or yourself, a favorite aunt or cousin, or even your children!"
 
I get 15 as my roulette number regardless of whether I go by how old he is or how old he'll be in a few days and 15 in my ahnentafel is my maternal grandmother's mother, Georgiana Wellons Berger. Georgia was born on 29 April of 1891 to George Washington Wellons and Mary Anna Webb. She married Rev. Gideon G. Berger on 28 Sep 1919. They had three children, including my grandmother before her husband died in 1965. Georgia died on 26 Sep 1985 in Lodi, California. Three facts about her:

1) She was born in a lumber town on the California/Oregon border, Klamathon, which burnt down in 1903. This means that there are no early records for her, including a birth certificate. This proved a challenge when she wanted to get a passport and visit he son, who was stationed in Japan, in the 1950s. She eventually did get her passport and many of the souvenirs she brought back from Japan now decorate my grandmother's home.

2) Apparently she had webbed toes which she got from her mother (Mary Anna Webb). My grandmother (Georgia's daughter) also has this though it didn't pass on beyond that. Due to the fashions at the time, Georgia also developed some foot deformities due to the shoes which were worn in her youth.

3) She was a voracious reader and I inherited some of her books. The only reason I read Pride and Prejudice the first time was because it was her copy and she had signed the inside of it. I've since read the book at least a dozen times and had to get a new copy before I wore out her copy. Her favorite book was How Green Was My Valley because it supposedly reminded her of her Welsh heritage (Wellons was originally Llewelyn), though her family was mostly English and the Wellons had been in the US (Virginia) since the early 1700s.

Comments

  1. I love the irony in inheriting one's webbed feet from Miss Webb. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Popular Posts