The Ancestors' Geneameme
The list should be annotated in the following manner:
Things you have already done or found: bold face type
Things you would like to do or find: italicize (colour optional)
Things you haven’t done or found and don’t care to: plain type
You are encouraged to add extra comments in brackets after each item
Which of these apply to you?
- Can name my 16 great-great-grandparents - I know 14 of 16, missing the names of two Italian great-greats.
- Can name over 50 direct ancestors - Yep!
- Have photographs or portraits of my 8 great-grandparents - I wish! I have pictures for 6 of 8.
- Have an ancestor who was married more than three times - Not that I know of.
- Have an ancestor who was a bigamist - Again, not that I know of.
- Met all four of my grandparents - Met 3 of the 4, but I do have several treasured heirlooms from the one I didn't get a chance to meet.
- Met one or more of my great-grandparents - Yes, my great-grandmother, Gladys Viola Healey Shinn.
- Named a child after an ancestor
- Bear an ancestor's given name/s
- Have an ancestor from Great Britain or Ireland - Yes, both places.
- Have an ancestor from Asia - Not that I know of.
- Have an ancestor from Continental Europe - Yes, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland and Italy. If I want to go WAY back, France and the Netherlands also.
- Have an ancestor from Africa - Not that I know of.
- Have an ancestor who was an agricultural labourer - I have MANY - most of my 19th Century and earlier ancestors were either farmers or ag laborers.
- Have an ancestor who had large land holdings
- Have an ancestor who was a holy man - minister, priest, rabbi
- Have an ancestor who was a midwife - Not that I know of, though I'm sure a few of them helped deliver a baby of two in their time.
- Have an ancestor who was an author - Stephen Vincent Benet is also a third cousin several times removed.
- Have an ancestor with the surname Smith, Murphy or Jones
- Have an ancestor with the surname Wong, Kim, Suzuki or Ng
- Have an ancestor with a surname beginning with X
- Have an ancestor with a forename beginnining with Z
- Have an ancestor born on 25th December
- Have an ancestor born on New Year's Day
- Have blue blood in your family lines
- Have a parent who was born in a country different from my country of birth
- Have a grandparent who was born in a country different from my country of birth
- Can trace a direct family line back to the eighteenth century
- Can trace a direct family line back to the seventeenth century or earlier
- Have seen copies of the signatures of some of my great-grandparents
- Have ancestors who signed their marriage certificate with an X
- Have a grandparent or earlier ancestor who went to university
- Have an ancestor who was convicted of a criminal offence - None in the last 200 or so years though (that I am aware of)
- Have an ancestor who was a victim of crime
- Have shared an ancestor's story online or in a magazine (Tell us where) - If I count this blog, then I have but that would be too easy/obvious.
- Have published a family history online or in print (Details please) - It is on my bucket list!
- Have visited an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries
- Still have an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries in the family
- Have a family bible from the 19th Century
- Have a pre-19th century family bible - I have copies of excerpts from a pre-19th Century family Bible, does that count?