Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories: Movies and TV Shows

I participated in the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories series back in 2009 and haven't really felt the need to rehash or repost those entries (if you want to read them just check out the posts from December of 2009).  But today is a Grab Bag day and I really like what the Passionate Genealogist did with her Grab Bag post.  And, you know what else I really like?  Holiday movies, TV shows, music, etc.

Movies
In my household "Black Friday" had another meaning not at all related to shopping.  It was typically the day my father would pull out his copies of A Christmas Carol (the George C. Scott version from the 1980s is his favorite, but the Reginald Owen and Alistair Sim versions get equal airtime).  And thus the infinite loop of Ebenezer Scrooge, Bob Crachit, Tiny Tim and the whole lovable lot would begin and run until about New Year.  I like the movies, or rather, I like them the first time I see them each year.  But by the twentieth or thirtieth time in a week or two the charm starts to wear a little thin for me.  The one version my father doesn't care for is The Muppet Christmas Carol.

And can you guess which Christmas movie is MY favorite?  That's right, The Muppet Christmas Carol.  When I was little it was just because I liked the Muppets; now it is a mixture of the fact that it brings back memories of my childhood and the fact that the songs are really rather excellent (and yes I sing along with all of them).  Other movies that I have to watch every December are Holiday Affair (which I discovered a few years ago), Susan Slept Here (which I discovered many years ago - and get your head out of the gutter, it is nice clean 1950s stuff, despite the title), and Christmas in Connecticut (which I discovered as a teenager).  I also love White Christmas (Holiday Inn not so much) and The Man Who Came to Dinner (even if it isn't a Christmas movie in the strictest sense).  I'm not a big fan of most of the "classics" however.  I have seen Miracle on the 34th Street (both versions), It's a Wonderful Life and The Bishop's Wife.  I've even seen them more than once in an effort to like them.  Since most people love them however, I won't be a Scrooge so I'll just say "no comment."

On my birthday (which is a few days after Christmas), I always watch The Sound of Music.  Originally it was because it just always seemed to come on on my birthday, then it became a tradition.

TV Shows
I've watched them all and like them all.  The Rankin/Bass productions hold a spot in my heart though, Jack Frost especially.  A Christmas Day staple (because my mother would never let us put on anything that would hold our attention) in my home is the Yule Log.

Music
When I was little I was obsessed with Feliz Navidad.  I don't know why, and I don't know why I still like it as much as I do.  I do know I went through a phase where I thought I knew Spanish because I mastered the lyrics.  Another song I loved when I was little was Mele Kalikimaka (yes, I thought I knew Hawaiian also) and I always had to sing it in my best Bing Crosby voice (which isn't great).  Now I pretty much like all the standards.

As far as my family goes, I don't know that they have favorite TV shows or music.  My grandmother loves Handel's Messiah though and watches it, usually with my mother, each December.

Comments

Popular Posts