52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Peter Doyle

(This is my first foray into the 52 Weeks Challenge.  Hopefully I can keep it going throughout the year...)

I know very little about Peter Doyle.  His son, Heman, said Peter was born in Ireland, but Peter's US Army enlistment record lists Plymouth, England as his birthplace.

I don't know who Peter's parents were either, or when he arrived in the US.  He was born around 1770 and married Rebecca Swena/Sweeney sometime before 1810.  Their son, Heman, was born on 31 Dec 1809 in Arlington, Bennington, Vermont.  Peter also had at least two other children, Aaron and Mary Paulina.

On 2 March 1814 in Bennington, Vermont, Peter enlisted as a Musician in Capt. William S. Foster's Co. of the 11th US Infantry.  During the Siege of Fort Erie, Peter was wounded by a cannon ball and subsequently died from his injuries on 14 September, 1814.  Due to Peter's service and death in action, his three children received a pension between 1821 and 1826.

Peter's widow, Rebecca, remarried in 1819 to Joseph S. Bacon.  They had several children and eventually settled in Sauk Co., Wisconsin.

I do not know what happened to either Aaron or Mary Paulina.  Peter's son, Heman, eventually came west to California with some of his Bacon relatives.  Rebecca died in 1867; Heman died in 1881.  Heman was my 4th great-grandfather.

I've seen several alternative spellings for Doyle, including: Dail, Doil, Dale and Doyel.  Heman always went by Doyle, whether that was the actual original spelling/pronounciation I do not know.

I have tried to order Peter's pension records from NARA but they could find nothing.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to get these records, I'd love to hear them.

Comments

Popular Posts